May is motorcycle awareness month, and as the weather is getting warmer the number of motorcycles on the roads will increase. Many motorcycle crashes occur as a result of being hidden in a vehicle’s blind spot, so it is extremely important for both motorcyclists and motorists to be aware of each other, not just this month, but every day.
AA Muffler & Brakes encourages everyone to always drive safe. In the spirit of Motorcycle Awareness Month, we have compiled some tips for drivers and motorcyclists to stay aware and safe this summer.
- Leave extra room between your car and any motorcycle you are driving behind
- Be extra cautious at intersections — many crashes happen when drivers don’t see a motorcyclist and turn left in front of them
- Don’t share a lane with a motorcyclist, give them the full width of the lane
- Avoid riding in bad weather like rain or fog
- Try to stay out of a car’s blind spots when on the roads
- Remember to use your turn signal for every turn and lane change